Focus on Oak Lawn Cemetery: History is buried here: Baltimore's Methodist history. On the far eastern edge of the city, Francis Asbury, first bishop of the Methodist Episcopal Church in America, consecrated the Old Methodist "Burying Ground." In 1935, to make room for an expansion of Philadelphia Road, now US Highway 40, bodies were removed and re-interred here at Oak Lawn. No grave markers accompanied them. A single stone does the job of memorializing all 2,777 departed souls.